Pages

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Why isn't there any nutmeg and parsnips are just albino carrots

I've decided that I need to cook for myself more and by cook for myself more I mean more than ravioli, mac and cheese and stir fry. I know I can cook it's just that I'm lazy and when I get home from work I don't want to spend 30 minutes prepping food and then having to wait while it cooks. It's torture for me because I can smell it and starving.

I've convinced myself to do this because if I cook once I'll have left overs for days which means no cooking at all a few nights a week!

I had butternut squash in the freezer so I decided to do something with that. I found this recipe for butternut squash and parsnip baked pasta.

First of all you can't just buy one parsnip so now I'm going to need to figure out what to do with this bag of parsnips.

Second of all why was there no nutmeg in the supermarket? All sold out! Does this have something to do with the pumpkin spice latte shortage I've been hearing about? And if someone is baking massive amounts of pie I think I should have some of that pie.

Despite no nutmeg it came out pretty good. I feel like this recipe would have been better for a Sunday night so I could eat before 8 p.m.

Basically this blog post is a big pat on my own back for cooking a delicious meal and although it still involved pasta it did not come from a blue box with powered cheese. And to complain about the supermarket being out of nutmeg.

Let's see if I can keep this up and feel free to share any of your yummy easy favorite recipes.

4 comments:

  1. I made my own sauce today. I used regular ("classic") tomato sauce, added two spoonfuls of creamcheese, garlic and olive oil. It was creamy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it's pretty good you did some cooking :) I'm getting better at it too and the first time I made a pasta bake it turned out great and I lived off of them for a while. Then, like you, I got tired of waiting 45 minutes for food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go you!

    If you cut strips of parsnip with a vegetable peeler, put a little oil on them, and bake them, you can make something that resembles chips. You can flavor them however you want.

    Did you look for nutmeg in the "ethnic" foods aisle? They usually have a selection of spices there (and usually less expensive). I haven't done punkin pie yet (still working my way through the apples I picked two weeks ago), but I will be soon and you're welcome to have some. :)

    ReplyDelete